I'm a BIG fan of sharing...so pin away! :)

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Why I Believe Wednesday: Primary Songs!

I have always loved primary songs, ever since I was actually in primary.  :)  I sing them when I do dishes (well, that and Disney) and I teach them to Caida.  I just love them.  Even more than the hymns, they bring a special spirit into our home.  I love hearing children, especially children I love, sing such simple and sweet melodies with all the accompanying basic truths of the gospel.  Every year, come primary program time, I am completely floored and choked up when our kiddos sing the first song, whatever it happens to be.  And I fight back bawling like a baby the whole meeting.  The Spirit is just that strong, and my faith is strengthened.  But is it any wonder?  I mean, look at even just their titles/first lines:

I am a child of God.
My Heavenly Father loves me.
I know my Father lives.
I lived in Heaven.
Tell me the stories of Jesus.
He died that we might live again.
Reverence is more than just quietly sitting.
Our chapel is a sacred place.
I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!
Scripture POWER!
Search, ponder, and pray.
Dare to do right/Stand for the right.
Kindness begins with me.
Here we are together.
Love is spoken here.
I'm trying to be like Jesus.
I'll seek the Lord early.
I hope they call me on a mission.
I am a builder.
The family is of God.
Families can be together forever.
Family history--I am doing it!
I love to see the temple (I'm going there someday).
If I listen with my heart I'll hear the Savior's voice.

Surely "singing a song is fun to do...fun to do, to do, to do..." but in the gospel music is so much more than just fun.  Every time I sing these songs and all the others--or even just hear someone else sing them--I feel the Spirit testifying of those simple truths.  Sometimes that Spirit feels excited, like when we belt out proudly, "I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!" or "Scripture power keeps me safe from sin!"  Sometimes it feels quiet and peaceful and still, like "Reverence is More than Just Quietly Sitting" or "I Love to See the Temple."  Sometimes it's a happy, fluttery feeling, like "I am a Builder" or "I Hope They Call Me On a Mission."  But every time, it's the Spirit, confirming what I already know.

God lives. He loves me.  He is my Father in Heaven.  He loves me so much that "He Sent His Son" to live, die, and live again for me.  The purpose of life is to prove my love back so I can return to Him and to gain experience that will help me become more like Him in the eternities.  Part of that glorious Plan of Happiness is establishing families on the earth that can be perpetuated beyond the grave, but only through sacred ordinances performed in temples.  I know this, and I can sing these songs with confidence because I know this.  That is why I believe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving some love!