At BYU, my friend Clair decided our mega-talented ward needed to put on a production of the LDS musical "Women at the Well." I was her assistant director and a narrator, but OH! How I wish I could sing the beautiful music there! If you're not familiar, it's basically a narration and musical walk-through of the women in the scriptures that had personal experiences with the Savior, both from the New Testament and the Book of Mormon, as well as a nice song for us women today at the end. When I first listened to the CD, I kinda thought, "Huh, that's nice," but didn't really appreciate it much. Then I saw it come together in person and each song took on a whole new meaning for me. (Especially the ones that my roommates sang--each song still to this day reminds me of them. :) I realized just how loved and important women were to the Savior and how they were in on all the most sacred moments of His life, death, and resurrection--and how quickly they shared their testimonies with others. And He was just as intimately involved in their lives, healing them physically and spiritually, acutely aware of each of their needs.
My favorite song of them all, though, is probably the song sung by "Mary and Martha" about Lazarus being raised from the dead--called "If Thou Had Been Here." On Sunday, as I taught our primary kiddos this same story, I ended by simply saying the words from this song, and while the whole lesson was fun and spiritual, this really brought the Spirit into our class in a quiet, goosebump-causing,
still kinda way. I just knew that the words were true--that sometimes it feels as though Christ has forgotten about us, that even though He loves us He isn't aware of what we really want or need...but He's got a plan and everything happens for a reason. Everything important, anyway. And if it's important to you, it's important to Him. I'm still working on believing that, but when I hear this song, I can remember it more easily, even if but for a moment.
And that is why I believe.
The rest of the songs are all amazing in their own way. My other favorites are "Go in Peace," "Close Enough to Touch," and "He Came for Me." Check it out, ESPECIALLY if you can see it in person. You'll be happy that you did. :)
Thanks for sharing this Celeste. I have always loved the music to Women at the Well, but I have never seen the production. I used to have the CD, but its been missing for many years and I have been wanting to get it again. I am really grateful that you shared this!
ReplyDelete