My sisters and I loved playing with paper dolls when we were younger, and since Caida loves dressing Barbies up more than actually playing with them, I wanted to introduce her to them, as well. But paper rips. And Caida's not always careful. Besides, I wanted a new "quiet toy" at church for her to play with that she would actually get into for a whole half hour. :) So, this is what I came up with: the felt paper doll. I have LOTS of felt...hey, it's a cheap, versatile crafting fabric! All you need to make some dolls of your own are some felt, scissors, and glue...and a clipboard and baggies for storage. (I'm still working on an alternative to the baggies, any suggestions?)
Here's how I did it!
First I fashioned and glued a simple felt background to the back of my clipboard, so the dolls would stay on.
Then I worked on the dolls...which wasn't easy! I drew about three or four sketches before I even started cutting, and soon realized that some of the details I wanted just wouldn't make it into the final product. But I think they're cute, anyway. Since Caida is also fascinated with nakedness, I glued some undergarments on the dolls so they'd always be modest. ;)
I made a million kinds of hair (well, not really...I made straight long, straight short, curly medium, pigtails, and braids...and a granny hair or two!)...that way you can make the doll into anyone you want and change the hair up often.
| Multiple colors of the same style... |
| ...in multiple styles! |
Then, it's just up to you what you create! I started with some simple tops/bottoms...I don't have a picture of all the bottoms but they include denim, black, khaki, and colorful skirts, pants, capris, and shorts...
Then added a few cute "costumes"...
| Normal denim skirt on left and leopard costume on the right... |
| The ballerina on the left and awesome camo pants on the right! |
| The ballet shoes I made after the original picture was taken. |
Then I REALLY started getting into it, and started adding WAY more detail than is necessary...like the feather boa and mini rhinestones on the rock star outfit below, or the buttons on the raincoat and pea coat.
| Yeah, I also made a couple of teddy bears...to go with the pajamas I want to make soon! |
I'm having TOO MUCH FUN! Like this baptism dress/wedding gown...
I can't wait 'til we have a little extra money and I can go to Hobby Lobby and grab a few sheets of the patterned felt, for pajamas and zebra-striped pants and plaid skirts, etc.! I am having TOO much fun and I will definitely keep this around for if Paul and I ever have daughters. But, like I said, I'm not sure about storage yet. Currently I just have things in labeled baggies, taped to the inside of a manila folder that I can just clip up on the clipboard...but I don't *love* it.
| I'm DEFINITELY going to need a bigger baggie for the "clothes." |
I may just have to make something to contain everything in. Suggestions? If I think of something brilliant, I'll let you know. :)
So, what do you think? I think the best part about this project is that you can make it MUCH simpler if you want--gingerbread-like bodies and super simple shirts/skirts--and it'll still be ADORABLE and super fun for any little girl that likes to play dress-up as much as Caida does. Have fun, and if you create your own amazing set, please share a link or photo with me so I can get inspired, too!
Linking up HERE and HERE.
UPDATE: Go HERE and HERE and HERE to see more outfits I've made since this post!
Maybe you could make some felt envelopes/bags? Super fun idea. I may have to copy it sometime. :)
ReplyDeleteGreat idea! Those small plastic boxes that diaper wipes come in would make great storage boxes for the pieces.
ReplyDeleteThese are so cute! I was out searching for kid's crafts to feature on Fun Family Crafts, a site similar to Craftgawker (but kid's crafts only) when I came across this. I would love it if you would submit it! http://funfamilycrafts.com
ReplyDeleteVery very cool! I'm a new follower from Craftomaniac's blog hop. I hope you stop by, too!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.meldreamsoften.com