I'm a BIG fan of sharing...so pin away! :)

Sunday, February 20, 2011

The perfect biscuits, every time

I like biscuits.  I like bread in general!  But dense, moist, flaky biscuits are for sure a favorite.  Even better is when you can find a breakfast recipe around here that is egg-free.  Even BETTER if it's easy AND versatile.

***
Here is the basic recipe:
3 c. flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. liquid (milk, water, etc...see below)
1/4 c. liquid fat (melted butter, vegetable oil, etc...see below)

With oiled hands, shape loaf into a ball and bake on a clean cookie sheet at 400 degrees for about 35-40 minutes.  (OR, if making large drop biscuits, only cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until outside edges are lightly browned.)
***

For biscuits-and-gravy, I'd make the liquid milk (or water, if there's a dairy allergy) and use melted margarine or vegetable oil as liquid fat. 

I haven't made that yet, though...but here are some of the DELICIOUS variations I've tried so far:

SWEET biscuits: use water as the liquid, melted butter as the liquid fat, add about 1/4 c. honey and cinnamon and/or pumpkin pie spice to taste.  When you take it out of the oven, drizzle honey and sprinkle cinnamon on it.  I made this for primary last week and our kids called it "rock bread," (because of its looks, not its texture) and they LOVED it!

FRUITY biscuits/scones: use orange juice as the liquid and vegetable oil as the liquid fat.  Add a bag (or about 1 1/2 c.) dried berries (I used the berry mix from Aldi's, which had strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, and cherries, and it was SOOOOOOOOO good!) and, if you want, a little honey to taste.  The orange is super subtle, and we loved cooked craisins around here.  :)

SAVORY TOMATO-BASIL biscuits: Use tomato juice (like V8) as the liquid and olive oil as the liquid fat, add 1 Tbsp. oregano to batter, and sprinkle entire loaf with rosemary and thyme.  I just made this for a side to our spaghetti dinner for tonight, and it smells SOOOOOO AMAZING.  I hope it tastes just as good!

Like I said, these turn out dense and delicious, every time.  I L.O.V.E. simple recipes that I can remember, and especially those like this one that can be varied for lots of other meals/flavors.  Try it out!  And if you come up with a new variation, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving some love!