I'm a BIG fan of sharing...so pin away! :)

Monday, February 7, 2011

Honeymoon (better late than never?)

I had to make this TWO posts...and I ran out of my google storage for pictures in between and had to go buy more.  It's only $5 for a year, for 20 GB, so it's worth it.  Especially considering how much I blog now!

Back to the fun stuff.  As if the wedding in D.C. wasn't fun enough, we traveled to the other side of the continent for our honeymoon. Paul served his mission in Vancouver, B.C. (Spanish speaking). So we got to go and visit his ward (that he served in for 18 months...yeah, there aren't many Spanish speakers. Lots of Chinese and Sikhs, though...). We got a little sight-seeing in, although we were pretty much broke by this time. :) Some highlights:

all the Native art around town...



 ...BEAUTIFUL mountains and delicate rain...and the ease of a well-thought-out public transportation system...
 ...the LIBRARY!!!  If you know me, you know that this alone made the trip worth it!...

...the aquarium... 

 ...the beautiful Sutton Place hotel...
 ...our amazing view of the unique Vancouver architecture...
...and of COURSE visiting lots of families (who kept us well-fed and busy!) like this one.  Of course, I don't speak Spanish, so I spent a lot of our honeymoon concentrating REALLY HARD to pick out the words I could using my basic French skills...but it was still awesome.  And they fed us A LOT. 
 We also got to travel on the smallest plane we've ever been on...
...and I got to use my passport for the first time!  (And last so far...but we're working on it. :) 
We got round-trip tickets from D.C. to Vancouver, so we had to take the bus back home to West Lafayette.  Here's one of the interesting things we saw (I think in Columbus, OH?).
GREEN!
It was a really fun first trip out of the country for me, and it was nice to see Paul's eyes light up as we traveled the streets of his mission.  Everyone was SO kind, and even though I had no idea what was going on half the time I managed to get through conversations decently well.  It was a really nice, if not way too quick, vacation, and if we end up in Seattle, we'll definitely be visiting Vancouver LOTS!




2 comments:

  1. Oh, man! You are SO lucky to have already gone back to Paul's mission! Dave served in Russia, and we did kind of set a goal and a deadline for going, but it just hasn't worked out. Ack! I'm just dying to go. I wouldn't be able to communicate at all, or even make reasonable guesses about what was going on, but it would still be so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, Rachael--yeah, if he'd served overseas we'd probably be saving up for at least another 10 years. But it is SOOOOOOOO worth it, even if you have to wait a little for it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!