I'm a BIG fan of sharing...so pin away! :)

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Not-Quite-Cupcakes

This was our dinner last night.  :)

It was actually based on a recipe from, you guessed it, FamilyFun.go.com.  They're not REALLY cupcakes...they're meatloaf and mashed potatoes! 

They are SO easy and fun...not as easy as actual meatloaf and potatoes, but still pretty easy.  And worth it just for the look on Paul's face!

Not-Quite-Cupcakes (makes 12)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and line a 12-cup muffin tin with FOIL muffin liners (you can get a pack of 30 at Hobby Lobby for less than $2)...don't use plain paper liners, they won't work!!!

2. Make your meatloaf mix however you like (for about a pound of beef)--some days I just add ketchup, bread crumbs, and onions to a pound of ground beef, while other days I get a little more adventurous and add things like onion soup mix to the meat.  Yesterday, I was feeling a little like chocolate, so I loosely followed the directions for the meat here--it includes barbeque sauce, cocoa powder, and molasses, among other things!  I also added wheat germ and oats along with bread crumbs.  This part is totally up to you.  :)

3. Spoon some of the meat mixture into each foil liner--fill them about 3/4 full.

4. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until cooked through.

5. Meanwhile, make about 3 cups of mashed potatoes.  (It's easier here if you use a boxed mix...this part was difficult for me to gauge, as I always use real and whole potatoes and I had to peel them this time around...plus, I always make too much.  But better too much than too little!)  Separate into three or four bowls, add food coloring, and stir to make pastel colors.

6. When the meatloaf cupcakes are done, let them sit a while and cool off (not 'til cold, but until the meat hardens up a bit).  If you try to move them while they're still really warm, you'll (A) poke holes in the foil liners, and (B) probably mash the whole thing up.  Trust me, I learned that the hard way.  You CAN drain them first...that might help.

7. Spread a generous spoonful of mashed potatoes on each "cupcake," et voila, you're done!

Even with our huge appetites, these dozen were plenty, and we brought some over to my mom to surprise her.  :)  I had anticipated we'd want more than we did, so I have LOTS of meat and potatoes leftover...tonight, I'll probably put them all into a "pie." 

Happy eating!  Linking up HERE.

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving some love!