| My semi-sweet truffles in powdered sugar, mint truffles in cocoa, and orange truffles in shredded coconut! |
1/4 c. heavy cream
1 1/4 c. chocolate chips (whatever kind you prefer)
1/2 tsp. flavoring (optional)--I used both peppermint and orange extracts, and WOW. Yum.
Toppings--coconut, powdered sugar, baking cocoa (you can't hardly taste it), finely chopped nuts--each in a separate small bowl for rolling
1. On medium heat, bring cream to a gentle boil.
2. Lower heat to low, add chocolate chips, and stir until everything is melted and smooth (about 2 minutes on our stove).
3. Add flavorings, if desired, and transfer to a bowl. Cool in refrigerator 1 1/2-2 hours.
THIS is where I deviated from the recipe. They said to roll it between your hands into 1 inch balls before rolling them into the toppings. I tried that, and it melts into your hands and gets EXTREMELY messy (not to mention hard to roll). So I went out and bought a cheap melon baller, which worked REALLY well...until I broke it. (Yeah, that cooled chocolate is harder than melons, go figure!) So do what you have to. I think the IDEAL solution would be to pour the melty chocolate into candy molds (they're like 2 bucks at Hobby Lobby) instead of a bowl...then you'd just pop it out and proceed to the next step after an hour or so.
4. Roll balls or candy-molded-shapes into desired toppings. Place on plate or tray with waxed paper lining. Cool in fridge for at least another 1/2 hour before serving. For best taste, allow to warm to room temperature before eating. Makes about 12-15 truffles.
Even with the rolling fiasco, these were still YUMMY and easy. I quadrupled the recipe so my mom and I could each have a ton, and I have no regrets (other than breaking a brand new melon baller...and what these truffles will do to my already huge figure!). I'd like to make some for my sister (who doesn't eat chocolate) with some white chocolate chips, dipped in powdered sugar...or, for Christmas, dipped in candy cane pieces! OR, some Reeses-inspired truffles with a peanut butter center and (white) chocolatey goodness surrounding it...SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving some love!