I'm a BIG fan of sharing...so pin away! :)

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sabbath Day Activity Jars


For our Primary lesson last week (we teach the 8- and 9-year olds at church) we talked about keeping the Sabbath Day Holy.  It's always a good lesson to relearn, I think.  While we always know certain things we really shouldn't do on Sundays, it was particularly interesting to read about the Savior in the New Testament and how He spent the Sabbath Day serving others.  He healed people, fed people, taught and prayed with people.  It wasn't a time for three-hour-long naps (although we occasionally NEED those around here) or watching TV, etc.  My favorite quote from the lesson was by President Spencer W. Kimball: "The observance of the Sabbath is an indication of the measure of our love for our Heavenly Father."  We discussed this with the kiddos, and decided that if an activity helps us feel greater love for Heavenly Father and our fellow men, then it's probably an okay thing to do. 

Then we gave each child a (reused) jar with lots of bright, colorful strips of paper, and gave them a challenge.  (Side note: they LOVED smelling the inside of their jars...well, the ones with the old peaches, applesauce, and jellies did...not the spaghetti sauce ones so much. :)

I guess it's the same challenge I'd offer to you and me.  We told them to take it home and, sometime during the week, to discuss the lesson with their families (maybe for an FHE lesson or as a good Sunday activity).  Then they could, as a family, brainstorm ideas for things to do on Sundays that are good and holy and family-approved, writing each idea on a slip, folding it up, and putting it in the jar.  They got to decorate the jar however they wanted.  That way, whenever they were bored on Sunday mornings or evenings they could look in the jar and get an idea or two of something fun to do that is meaningful and productive but still in keeping with the commandment to keep the Sabbath Day holy. 

I came up with a list, but Paul and I have yet to make our own jar.  Most of my ideas were adaptations or piggy backs of things listed AT THIS WEBSITE.  Check it out!  (The list is at the bottom of the page, but don't skip over some of the fun quotes and object lessons mentioned! :)

I'm excited to make a jar like this for myself...I already have a journal jar, but sometimes on Sundays (Paul's first day off of work) we tend to veg out a lot...yes, it's restful for our bodies, but not very rejuvenating for our spirits.  So I am looking forward to finding more meaningful things to do to make this day truly one set apart.  And if YOU make one, let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving some love!