I'm a BIG fan of sharing...so pin away! :)

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

10 Things Tuesday: Picture Frames

I don't know about you, but we are ALWAYS getting new frames.  After a while, I get sick of them, or whatever picture is inside them, but I don't really know how to jazz those frames up or use them in a more creative way.  Well, if you're like me, here are some ideas to get you going!

FIRST OF ALL, don't forget that a new paint color, or distressing it with sandpaper, or turning it into a mosaic, or covering the frame with crayons/mod-podge paper/fabric/shells/rocks/flowers/WHATEVER can really transform the frame into one you want to use again!  But if that doesn't quite inspire you enough, take a look at these top 10 ideas!

10. TUTU frames!  I'm kinda proud of this because it's an original idea and I have made almost a dozen of them for gifts.  Just paint the frame, add some flowers around it, glue a tulle tutu on the bottom, and add some ribbon straps to hang it on...and you have the perfect little dance frame for your ballerina!

9. Open Frames!  For a more casual look, paint and distress the frame and put some eyelets on the insides and hang a wire, then use mini clothespins to hang on your pictures--so fun!

8. Frame gallery...okay, this isn't really my style, but some houses--especially those with a vintage or country feel--may pull this off really well.  Just paint a bunch of different frames (they can be different colors or the same) and layer them on the wall (some of the cutest ones I've seen have frames inside frames inside frames).  Voila!  Instant focal point, and a great use for all those frames.  If you really WANT to fill those frames in, do a few pictures and a few other things--words/vinyl, trinkets, etc., like Craft-o-Maniac girl...still very cute and gallery-like.  :)


7. Save larger (or smaller) frames for a photo booth prop!  It's kinda big in the photography world, so why shouldn't you have a few fun, bright frames to play around with, too? 

6. Open frame still life!  Think outside the frame!  I have loved this idea since I first saw it, and if I ever have a yard and a garden I will be doing this!  But you could frame just about anything in your yard or house you're proud of, even something 3D, and it adds a little whimsy.  If you're keeping it outdoors, paint with outdoor paint and distress with sandpaper for a shabby chic look.  :)  (Side note: you can frame YOURSELF, too, as a great Halloween costume idea: a self-portrait!)
The picture I saw in FamilyFun that just makes me smile.  :)

Inspiring Creations' blogger Lindsey did this adorable birdhouse!

I love this star/shell themed frame from the V Spot Blog!

5. Countdown/Advent/Birthday Calendar!  There are lots of ways to do this, and I like them all!  For the countdown, JJReynoldsFamily put some pretty paper in there and used a clothespin to hold numbered flashcards (you could make your own)...and whatever you're counting down to goes in the silver label holder at the bottom.  For the advent/birthday calendars, Jan Nolson and NotSoIdleHands, respectively, cut sheet metal or metal shingles, then made all their add-ons magnetic so they could stick...pretty genius, right?!



4. Frame Chalkboards or Mirrors!  I had thought of this, but I haven't done it yet...and I was thinking more like THIS

but I'm totally loving THIS idea, too! 

You just slap some chalkboard paint wherever you want it, and away you go!  And as for mirrors, of course you can modge podge or paint the frames and then just add a mirror, but I'm thinking a smaller version of THIS

would be awesome, with small mirror tiles glued onto a black (or whatever color goes with your room)-painted glass.

3. Frame Wire Memo Boards, like these from LemonadeMakinMama and The Gunny Sack!  Also very big right now!  Different chicken wires or wire mesh has been added to these frames, and then you just use clothespins (or magnets, I think) to attach your memos and pictures.  Funky and fun!

2. Frame Clocks!  Paul and I want to make a clock out of just about EVERYTHING now that we know we can...so keep that picture (modpodge it onto your cardboard or a THIN piece of wood), spruce up the frame, and get rid of the glass, then use a clock kit to turn it into a clock!  We're going to be doing this with my awesome Beauty and the Beast picture/frame since I don't know where to put it otherwise!


LOVE this idea, though I don't remember where I saw it...but how fun is that?!  You could change the actual pictures in them to go with holidays, or family members, or whatever floats your boat!

1. Frame Tea Trays!  I *LOVE* this idea, and the prettiest ones I've seen are by far these lovelies from MyWonderfullyMade.  Look at the details, from using old bent silverware as the handles to the pretty embellishments she made with old jewelry...perfect recycling craft for grown-ups, and a great gift for the lady in your life!

BONUS IDEAS:

11. Specimen Art!  Put something random in those frames--Simple Simon and Co. has this GREAT idea to make a "specimen chart" with just about anything around the house, from pasta to favorite cereals to nuts and bolts and everything in between.  Love it!


12. Jewelry Hangers!  You can add a bit of lace, or wire, or hooks, to the frame and hang up your jewelry oh-so-prettily!
NotSoIdleHands's version...

Can't remember where I saw this...sorry!

13. Fabricize it!  Wrap (tightly) some fabric around it, and add ribbons and a flower like TwoTinyTowHeads did below...soooo cute!

*WHEW!*  I'm sure that SOMETHING here caught your eye--so go create!

1 comment:

  1. Very creative ideas! I really like that clock idea with all the frames around the edge and the clock hands in the middle.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!