I'm a BIG fan of sharing...so pin away! :)

Monday, July 12, 2010

10 Things to Do with 1" Cubes

So, for my Ya-Ya reunion, as you may have previously read, I made 6 of these Disney Princess puzzles for me and my roommates:


And since each puzzle used 9 blocks, that meant I used 54 blocks for this. I ordered 100 from Casey's Wood Products online because, even with shipping, it was cheaper than Ebay and easier than hunting them down all over town. Now I have 46 1" wood cubes to use...

So, between my own thoughts (I've done over half of these and WANT to do the rest) and a little online research, I bring you 10 fun, crafty things to do with 1" wooden cubes. Excited? You should be!

#1 Photo Puzzles: Like the princess puzzles above, only using your own photographs! Gather 9 cubes. Simply crop 6 photos down to 3" squares, then cut each one into 1" squares and modpodge each photo onto the 9 different cubes. Black and white photographs make an extra classy (and challenging) puzzle to solve!

#2 Inchie Art: My friend Clair introduced me to the world of inchie art, and it's pretty much amazing. The possibilities are endless! You can use markers, paper/stickers/modpodge, paint, stamps, etc. to create a tiny 1" masterpiece...well, 6 of them, actually! Super fun, even with kids.

#3 Alphabet Blocks: Gather 26 cubes, and make your own alphabet blocks for your kiddos (or yourself). You can draw or paint your own pictures to go with each sound, or just use stickers or family photos and modpodge (a favorite of mine) for something easier. Either way, personalized blocks could be a great addition to your toyroom!

#4 Modern Art Sculpture: Paint any number of cubes in a scale of monochromatic colors and get in touch with the artist inside! Arrange them in a permanent fashion by gluing, or just leave them for guests to rearrange.

#5 Calendar Cubes: You've seen these in the store...just make your own and find something cute at GoodWill or Dollar Tree to show them off in!

#6 Soma Cubes: I haven't done this (YET), but there are complete instructions here...it looks simple enough!

#7 Texture Blocks: If you have scraps of textured cloths, sandpaper, etc. around, cut them into 1" squares and glue them onto the different sides of the blocks. This could be a fun thing to have around for you or your kids...if you have small kids and want to make this for them, I'd go with bigger cubes, though...maybe the 2 1/2" size?

#8 Funny People: Do you remember those paper flip-books that had different heads, bodies, and feet that you could mix and match? Well, with 3 of these blocks you could make your own! Six different heads, bodies, and feet for each one...again, fun to do with kids. :)

#9 Story Blocks: You can put pictures and/or words on several cubes for kids to mix-and-match and make sentences or build stories. If you're using words, try making different parts of speech different colors (like all nouns are blue or all verbs are red) to make patterns more obvious for school-aged kids.

#10 Multi-Sided Stamps: Use adhesive foam (or just glue it on with craft glue) to make different stamps. Just cut out shapes, letters, designs, and more, then glue them onto the wood (backwards!) on 5 of the 6 sides.



Voila! Have fun, and let me know what you end up trying and liking! I'm going to go try at least two of these today, and I'll post photos when I get 'em! :)



7/13: Here they are! I just love the picture puzzles, so I painted some springtime gerberas in different pastels on different colors for a little springtime decor next year:




Also, WAY fast and simple and a little too much fun for me, the funny mix-and-match people (I discovered that the markers bleed a bit on the wood, so you'll want to use fine-tipped markers and be forgiving to the cube a little.)



1 comment:

  1. Those are some great ideas to do with cubes! How creative you are! Those flowers are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!