I'm a BIG fan of sharing...so pin away! :)

Monday, October 10, 2011

Mmm...Monday! Crockpot Ginger-Honey-Citrus Chicken Soup!

Paul and I are both fighting off sickness these days.  Nothing major--sniffles, tickles in throats, sinus pressure--but we certainly haven't felt 100% in a while.  It seems like this happens every time the seasons change and cold/flu seasons start up!  Thankfully, we're getting into cooler weather and autumn flavors, many of which are not only YUMMY and my favorite, but that are also super good for you, too!

I make us some hot water/lemon/honey or a ginger/lime/honey infusion when we're not feeling good. I always cook with lots of onions.  And who doesn't love the comfort of a good, home-cooked chicken noodle soup when they're sick?  Do you want to know some of the good things these do for you?

Honey--natural antiseptic, boosts immunity through antioxidants, helps digest fat stored in the body,  soothes sore throats, and is a mood booster (a spoonful helps boost the production of seratonin in your brain).  Of course, it's a sugar, so don't overdo it...but honey is pretty awesome!
Lemons/Limes--Lemons are naturally antibacterial, antiviral, and help cleanse the liver.  Also, lots of immunity-boosting micronutrients, like Vitamin C, calcium, and magnesium. Limes are kinda the same--more vitamin C than even lemons, and they have potassium in them (which is good for your kidneys and muscles).
Ginger--great for upset stomachs/digestion, warming you from the inside out, and great in baths when you want to sweat out some toxins from your body.
Onion--anti inflammatory (helps decrease bronchial spasms or inflamed sinuses)
Carrots--vitamin A, of course--and a bunch of other vitamins.  Also, good for your skin.
Chicken--protein. :) I never feel like eating much meat or dairy when I'm sick (which is good--dairy and processed grains create mucous that you don't want when you're fighting sinus issues), but this melt-in-your-mouth shredded chicken gets you lots of good-for-your-body protein, in a hearty but not a heavy way.

Lots of things that are good for you.  So I combined them all into a crockpot soup. :)

Here's how:

Ingredients:
3 c. vegetable/chicken broth, or 3 c. water with 2 bouillon cubes.
1/2 large or 1 whole medium/small onion, chopped in slivers.
1/2 lemon OR 1 whole lime, peeled and chopped in slivers.
honey, enough to drizzle twice (about 1/4 c, at least)
fresh ginger, 2 different chunks about the size of your thumb
4 medium-large carrots, peeled and sliced into medallions
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts

Directions:
1. Pour broth or water and bouillon into crockpot.
2. Sprinkle half of your onion slivers around the bottom of the crockpot.  Layer all the lemon slices on top.
3. Chop finely or grate one of the ginger chunks and add it to the mix.
4. Drizzle lightly with honey.
5. Put chicken breasts in crockpot broth/lemon/onion mixture.
6. Chop the other chunk of ginger finely and sprinkle on top of the chicken.  Add remaining onion slivers and all carrots on top.
7. Drizzle again with honey lightly.

Allow to cook on low setting for about 6-7 hours, or until the chicken is tender enough to pull easily with a spoon.  Shred chicken and serve soup warm!

Makes 3-4 servings (you CAN serve this with noodles or rice...it's really good that way!).

Enjoy, and stay healthy this autumn/winter!

3 comments:

  1. I was so insanely happy when I read this post.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you the whole time I concocted it. I learned almost everything on this page from you...or from watching Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead and FoodMatters. :) I only wish I could share a bowl with you in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I was on day 8 of their 15 day juice cleanse when Dad died. I felt REALLY good on day 8 and wish I could have finished it. I love your guts. I wish we could share a bowl of your yummy soup in person too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!