I'm a BIG fan of sharing...so pin away! :)

Thursday, November 25, 2010

The other crafts...

I ran out of yarn for my scarf, so it looks like I'll have to wait a while before I finish it since we can't afford more yarn for at least another week.  :)  But here are the promised pics of the other crafts I did this week:

These pilgrim hats turned out to be SO cute, and since I always have spare flowers lying around, they were pretty cheap, too!  You can find general directions here, but to be honest, I made it WAY simpler.  I just took terra cotta planters (I picked SMALL ones, so they'd be cheap [$2.50 for 6 of them at Hobby Lobby] and I could make several for the different houses we were invited to this year) and spray painted them black.  Then I used black cardstock from my scrapbook supplies and some black felt doubled together to make the brim of the hat, making sure to have a hole in the middle.  I used hot glue, which I always have in abundance, to glue together the floral arrangements, then stuck them right in.  A bit of yellow felt for the buckles, and I was good to go!  WAY EASIER than the ones at FamilyFun, but those probably look better, too...so do it the way that suits you.  :)  I think l someday, when I have actual family coming over to MY house for dinner, I'll make even SMALLER ones and use them as place card holders.  Wouldn't that be cute???  You could also fill them with candy instead of flowers, or small slips of paper to write what you're thankful for...very versatile for families of all shapes and sizes!

I also found this great digital camo duct tape at WalMart, and decided to make Paul a new wallet since it's more his thing than bright red is. :)  He loves everything military, so he got pretty stoked when I gave it to him.  Also, since I've made a few of them now, he got one that was put together a little better.  Have I mentioned before how awesome this duct tape goodness is?  Because it is.  I will never, ever buy a wallet again!  I'm thinking about using the rest of this duct tape for another wallet for one of my many military family members...but who?  (P.S. One roll of fancy duct tape makes like 3 or 4 wallets.  Even with the designer styles,it's still less than $1 a piece! If you want to make these as a gift, they are REALLY easy to make (check out a tutorial here), and then you could stuff them with gift cards or money or pictures of family or whatever you want.  :)  One note of warning: you'll have to experiment with sizes and such.  None of the tutorials online gave me the sizes I wanted.  So my first one was HUGE.  Use your current wallet or some money and cards to make sure everything fits *just so*.  :)  If you like the three-fold style instead, MAKE IT!  I did this for my niece's birthday so it would fit in her little purse, and it turned out quite nice, too.  You'll thank yourself for it!

1 comment:

  1. I love the hats! Such a cute idea.
    And the wallet is super cool. I might make one for my brother... hmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love!