Because of Mom, I like horses and dogs, too. But because we had so many pets, the novelty of them has worn off. I'm not in love with them. I don't get uber excited about them. I don't have the knack for caring for non-people living things like my sister does. I kill plants. I am sort of apathetic towards animals. I prefer people.
That may explain the relationship I have with Paul's and my first dog, Obsidian. We adopted her from a shelter almost a year ago now. She was a year or so old when we got her, so we missed her adorable puppy years. When we first had her, I was student teaching, and all she was to me was another little one to train, feed, clean up after, and keep me up at night (she barked ALL THE TIME!). Now, though, since we spend so much time together, I have a love-hate relationship with her. I try to love her, she bites or scratches and bruises me or abuses any trust I give her, I get angry, she tries to make it up by being adorable, all is forgiven and we start the cycle anew. :) But here are some things that I LOVE about Obi:
1. She loves peanut butter. I give her the PB jars when we're done with them, after taking the paper and lid off, and let her go at it. It's better than any chew toy and keeps her happy for literally HOURS. It's actually really cute to see her hold down the jar and stick her snout all the way into it and breathe and fog up the thing. Also, her tongue is REALLY long, and I never knew that before. Other favorite foods of hers: mango, rice, bananas. And whatever is on our plates for dinner. As Paul's mom said, "Aw, she's Filipina!"
| Obi with a jar of PB. |
2. Obsidian (coolest name ever, BTW) knows the words "treat," "cage," "outside," "food," "water," "ball," "dinner's ready," "down," and her nickname, Obi. She also knows the following tricks so far: sit, lay down (formerly "worship me!"), beg, dance, stay, come here, shake, crawl, kiss, and speak. Sometimes, when Emilie's here, she remembers "How many is this?" when you hold up two fingers and she barks twice. It's fun having her learn new tricks, especially when she performs for others. Which she rarely ever does, so if you see it, consider yourself lucky. :)
3. Even though she's 50+ pounds, she thinks she's a lap dog. This is my favorite side of Obi, the curl-up-and-sleep-with-you sweetheart side. I get that most of the day...'til Paul comes home. Then playful, destructive, spoiled, back-talking, disobedient Obi comes out and I feel like pulling out all my hair. But she really could be SO much worse.
| Sleeping Obi. |
I remember that summer I visited and how I couldn't believe how many animals you had!! I had never known someone with so many pets (and still don't)!!:)
ReplyDelete