I feel like this week has lasted about a thousand years. I feel like I could slip into silent slumber for about a thousand more. It has been a trying week, emotionally and physically, at the school in which I work, and I think everyone around me feels just about the same way. :)
- The flu is going around--and kids are germy enough on their own, but when you add special needs into the mix, germs spread like wildfire!
- I've been fighting off germs of my OWN. Especially a little dizziness, which makes reading and crafting and watching TV (my usual passtimes) especially unappealing.
- Several teachers have had life-altering crises this week, including the teacher in whose classroom I spend my mornings. We are a tight community and it has been a wonderfully exhausting week of many prayers and miracles, but also of much worrying in between. And worrying really does wear you out.
- I've been dropping little "surprises" in my birthday buddy's mailbox every day. This may not seem like a big deal to some but when it's out of your comfort zone and you don't really know the person, it can be exhausting to find things to give each day!
- I've been battling dozens of children who are tired of sitting inside all day (has this winter been EXTRA COLD or is it just me?), sick as a dog (but not a fever or throwing up so they can still come to school), and just incredibly unmotivated to listen to a word any of us "know-nothing grown-ups" say. I can handle sadness, cluelessness, etc., but flat-out defiance? Not my favorite thing. I may have snapped at more than one child this week.
- The teacher I work with in the afternoons had her official observation this week--but I felt like it was a third my own! The principal came in for about an hour and just went back and forth between watching her and watching me (which could be a good thing since I'm hoping to score a teaching job next year?). "The Beach" is a fun but stressful place to work at all the time anyway, but this week with evaluations and ISTEP+ and sickness and starting to think about NEXT year in serious terms it has just been a little extra rough.
- My own to-do list has grown EXPONENTIALLY this week, and my motivation these days is inversely proportionate to the length of my to-do list.
I've even been eating relatively decently, taking my vitamins, drinking plenty of water, and trying to get 8+ hours of sleep at night, but I am still SO TIRED.
The truth is, I am weary. Which is worse than tired.
I am weary of contention, in all its forms. I am weary of worrying about what other people think, and just as weary of my own regrets and the consequences when I swing the pendulum to the other side and stop caring altogether about what other people think! I am weary of routine, as much as I need it. I am weary of anything that breaks me out of that routine. I am weary of negativity and sadness and overthinking everything to the point of exhaustion. I'm weary of pregnancy (not my own, just everyone around me--I'm weary of baby talk!!!). I'm just incredibly weary of the world right now, and don't really feel like I've found my place in it--and I feel like I SHOULD have by now, as I am almost 30 and still feel like my "real life" hasn't even begun. I am especially weary of hearing myself say that over and over these last few years--like a broken record that I don't even like but I don't know how to just STOP LISTENING.
I wonder when you feel like a grown-up? I was told once (half-jokingly) that you had to be 28 before anyone took you seriously as an adult, but I'm past that and still don't even take MYSELF seriously. Or maybe I take myself TOO seriously. I don't know. This is not the life I had envisioned for myself, AT ALL, but it has been absolutely marvelous and a total adventure nonetheless and I don't have a right to complain even for a second.
Miracles happen, they really do. I feel incredibly blessed lately to have witnessed several of them, this week and last alone. I LOVE my job, even if it is trying. I can't imagine doing anything else right now. I LOVE my ward. I might not have a LOT of friends, but the ones I have are REAL and we have lots to celebrate. I have a great calling in which I get to work with sweet children every week and incredible, devoted women who buoy me up with their friendship and love and validation. We had a charity auction at our relief society meeting last night and it was SO FUN--they even brought in a professional auctioneer for the event! I'm learning to be more grateful for the little things, and it helps. I have seen more BIG miracles this month than the last year combined, which helps a lot, too. And I have the most FABULOUS, relaxed husband to distract me from myself, which helps most of all.
But if I happen to sleep in almost all weekend, or start a countdown to spring break even though I have no travel plans, or if I get a little grouchy or a little less done than usual, now you know why, and I hope the people around me will be patient. This, too, shall pass.
I This week especially I have not been in a very positive mood about myself or my life. Maybe it is the long winter with no Christmases we are having, or maybe I have made too many huge changes lately and I am just super disoriented with the world. I don't know. I get super tired of my own complaining too! And I definitely have felt soul weary to the max before. And the feeling "grown up". I was just thinking about this the other day. I referred to myself as a "woman" the other day, and then giggled, because I am not a woman! And then I remembered that I was and am! HOw crazy! I definitely don't feel in the grown up category yet. Maybe partly because I look at other adults and enjoy so little what they enjoy, and think very differently about the world then they do. So how can *I* be an adult if I am not like them?! Anyways, I love you greatly, even if it is from afar.:) Hang in there beautiful friend.:) You are going to get through this like a phoenix from the ashes.:) All ablaze with awesome! and power and crazy!:)
ReplyDelete