A while ago now, I joined a fantastic movement.
As I've mentioned before, I don't think I'm a super-negative person, but I DO struggle with depression from time to time, and a large part of that includes (a) not being grateful for what I have and (b) being really down on MYSELF. (The rest of it is health-biological-poor stress management...) And, as all women can attest, when you don't love yourself, or believe in yourself, or feel good about yourself, it really colors the way you see the rest of the world--not to mention other people around you who seem to be everything you're not.
Even more than an anti-depressant, sometimes even the happy ones just need a little healthy pick-me-up. We may need to retrain our brains to think more positively to manage stress, keep our temper in check, lighten our mood, and preoccupy our mind with GOOD things.
Enter billionclicks.org.
I was lucky and was sent a clicker by my dear friend Clair. For one week I carried the clicker on my wrist and counted every thankful, self-affirming, TRUE thought I had each day. I watched the numbers climb, from 47 to 93 to 136--turns out, driving is a GREAT time to click happy thoughts--and after two or three days I was HOOKED and I went out and bought several for my family. They have LOTS of colors and stickers to choose from, by the way, and are a cheap little gift to give in Easter baskets, Christmas stockings, and everything in between--or even just as a "just because" present for friends and family you love.
It was SO interesting to pay attention to my thoughts--especially my negative self-thoughts--and realize how *not* positive I really am sometimes. And it was just as interesting to see the change that happened ALMOST IMMEDIATELY in my mood and my self-love when I started clicking. It wasn't just ME that was affected, either--I was calmer in my classrooms as I clicked away stress and focused on the positive about my day, which helped my students IMMENSELY. My dogs were happier. My husband was happier. I was more productive as I grew more positive, which meant the many people that count on the little things I do benefitted.
And this is all in FIVE DAYS. Imagine what a true three-week "mental cleanse" of this kind could do?!
I'm not saying you have to go out there and buy a cute little clicker, of course. Or log all your happy thoughts onto the website (they're over half a million so far, but they're trying to reach a billion!). But I WILL say that it is an interesting and WONDERFUL little personal project to do if you want to be happier.
And I do. Who doesn't?
So I will probably do this again--for three weeks so that the habits I'm teaching my brain can really stick--and let you know how it goes. I click. Do you?
Yay for clicking!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI have to admit, I'm not super consistent at clicking. It's a little tricky, b/c most of my daily tasks are impractical for wearing anything on my wrists . . . washing dishes, taking care of a young baby (man, he wanted to play with it so badly!), preparing and eating food. BUT even just wearing it a little bit for a few days helped me to be more mindful of my thoughts. And that's made a big difference. To be aware and to make my thoughts trend in a positive direction. My mom loved the idea so much she wanted to get all of the adults in our family one and click during our family reunion (which I'm in charge of)! I'll have a whole family of clickers. :)
ReplyDelete