I shouldn't judge.
I shouldn't spread the negativity.
But this is CAIDA we're talking about.
She deserves better. EVERY child does.
But I digress...
Anywho, my heart breaks a little more every morning my poor sister has to update us on the latest CRAZINESS she's had to endure with Caida because of unfeeling nurses. She's going for a surgery consultation on May 17th at Riley Children's Hospital. They're hoping to do a VNS surgery the following week. Basically they'll implant something in Caida's chest that responds to magnetism, and has wires that are wrapped around the vagus nerve in her neck, with little electrodes secured to the outside of the skull. The VNS (Vagus Nerve Stimulator) sends electronic impulses via the vagus nerve to her brain, which is hoped to help combat these ever-increasing (and increasingly DANGEROUS) seizures. It's not as scary as brain surgery, but I am FREAKED as it is.
This is one of those moments when you come to know God, because no one else can tell you how the story ends and no one else can make anything okay.
Of course, I'm coming off an extremely EMOTIONAL couple of days...
I could still really use some prayers (and even fasting) on Caida's behalf. About 50% of VNS patience see around a 40% reduction in frequency or severity of their seizures. That isn't all that comforting, knowing how unique Caida's epilepsy has been and how resistant it is to other treatments they've tried. But we're pretty much out of options right now and I'd just feel better knowing our family wasn't the only ones thinking of her. If you knew her, you'd know what a REMARKABLE little girl she is, in spite of a SUPER HARD LIFE (not just seizures...life.).
Whoa - she'll be like an Iron Woman. :) Joking aside, yeah, that's totally scary. I hope it goes well AND that's it's effective by a lot!
ReplyDelete*hugs*
ReplyDeleteThanks so much. :)
ReplyDelete