I'm a BIG fan of sharing...so pin away! :)

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Quickie

"Dead week" on campus is over...now it's just three finals, and I'm home free!




I haven't received day 4's gift yet, but the clue was "What four things did you need in your math class to build similar triangles?" (Which, the answer to that is a compass, protractor, metric ruler, and inch-ruler.)



We made these adorable melted snowflake ornaments in enrichment the other day, and I loved them so much I had to put up a pic and the basic directions for future reference...



1. First, you lay out some wax paper. Lay out a little bit of tiny, silver thread tied in a knot as your hanger at the top.

2. Get all your little pieces ready (the hat is made out of black rolled-up felt, the scarf is cut felt, the nose is half an orange toothpick, the stick arms are cinnamon sticks, and the buttons are small black beads...oh yeah, and iridescent glitter!).

3. For the melted snowman part, use a hot glue gun to outline (yes, in glue!) the shape that you want--it should be around the size of your palm, maybe a little smaller. Then fill in your outline with hot glue, making sure to get any of the holes.

4. Here's where you have to work fast--sprinkle glitter on the whole thing (unless you have a phobia of glitter, in which case you can skip that step), then press on the scarf first. Toothpick, arms, beads--you might want to use another toothpick to kinda push the small objects down in the glue a bit. Lastly, put on the hat (if your glue has already hardened at this point you can just glue on the hat last).

5. Let it cool for a while, around 1/2 hour, and then when you're ready to pull it off the wax paper put it in the freezer a few seconds to really get hardened. The wax paper will probably still stick to the glue blob, but that's okay. If you really don't want it there, you can carefully rinse it off with some water...but honestly, we all decided it was better just to leave it on, the whole thing is still semi-translucent and it's SO much fun to see the finished product!

Hmm...what else? Dad's surgery went well, all things considered. We're hoping to go visit him today or tomorrow. Oh! And Paul & I are going to the PMO Christmas Show! I'm stoked. I haven't been to one of those since I was little!

Okay, I have to go be semi-productive now so that I can enjoy my evening. Omaroma, over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving some love!