I love the little sticker that you get when you vote. It seriously makes me happy inside. I think someone out there knew that if I had to wait in line for an hour to cast my presidential vote and didn't get SOME sort of prize at the end, I...well, I'd probably still do it, but not as heartily. :) It's not that I'm not a woman of personal conviction. I'm just also a person who still gets excited about stickers. That's why I'm in elementary education. :)
Moving ON...
I must admit, I'm not sure how I feel about the election. Yes, I actually voted for Obama, and there's a huge part of me that's partying right now. But there's also a really annoying and big part of me that was hesitant about the decision, because, let's face it, the election was more about picking the lesser of two evils. When you're politically moderate-liberal, some things are a bit much to chew or swallow on either side and when the last weeks of the election drew near all anyone had to say was degrading and character-attacking. I'm not into the metaphorical mud-slinging. If there's mud to be slung, let it be real, gooey, dirty mud, and let it be slung at a friend. :)
The point is, I'm proud that we had such a HUGE turnout to vote in our country. I'm proud that so many historical barriers have been broken with this election. I'm proud of the way McCain handled his defeat. I'm proud of Obama for his idealism. Now is where the rubber meets the road, and without going into a huge political discourse that no one really cares about, I think it will be very interesting to see exactly how much change ends up happening, and in what direction. The good news, folks, is that in the end if we don't like it we can always change. That's the beauty of short-term presidencies. So if your guy didn't win, well, Obama's OUR guy now, so let's make the most of it!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving some love!