I'm a BIG fan of sharing...so pin away! :)

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Chimichurri

Just hearing that name makes me think of Mary Poppins (Chim Chim Cheree). :)

I'd never made chimichurri or even tasted it before, but after my black bean burgers I had a TON of fresh parsley and cilantro left over and wasn't sure what to do with it.  I Googled recipes and found some interesting results, but this by far was the most tempting, so I made it!  And LOVED it.

Chimichurri is an Argentinian condiment (it's got quite a kick to it, not in a spicy/hot way but in a garlicky-vinegary-salty way...a little goes a long way, in other words!) that is meant to be put on grilled meats (skirt steak in particular). AND I TOTALLY RECOMMEND THIS, because the flavors are SOOOOOOOOOOO good together! The comments were helpful in tweaking it for what we had on hand, and also I learned that you can dip crusty bread in it (which we also did for dinner) AND make an Argentinian potato salad with it.  Lots of options, even for the vegetarians among us.  So, without further ado, here is the super-easy, super-yummy, super-Celeste-ial chimichurri recipe that I will most definitely be making again!

1 1/2 c. freshly chopped parsley
3/4 c. freshly chopped cilantro (they used oregano in the original, but the comments said some people use cilantro as the base and since I had a ton of it that's what I used)
6-8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 c. oil (I used 1/2 c. olive oil, like the original recipe stated, and 1/2 c. vegetable oil, which isn't as healthy but, according to the comments, is more authentic Argentinian.)
1/4 c. red wine vinegar (but you can use white wine or cider vinegar, too, apparently)
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. sea salt (the original said 1 tsp, but I don't like using a lot of salt when I cook)
***
Once the parsley, cilantro, and garlic are finely chopped, mix everything together in a medium-sized bowl and refrigerate (it's best to keep it in there for hours, even overnight).  Return to room temperature before serving.  Serve atop grilled meats (fish, steak, chicken), as a bread/bagel dip, or atop thinly-sliced grilled potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving some love!